Ireland’s National Athletic Stadium (The Morton Stadium) is located in Santry in the North of Dublin. The stadium was opened in 1958 with a cinder track which was replaced with Ireland’s first “tartan” track in 1975. The facilities consist of a small 800 seat stand to one side of the track and terraced seating to the other three sides for 4000 spectators.
Working in conjunction with the various bodies representing Irish athletics Albert Fry Associates were commissioned to develop proposals for Ireland’s first fully covered athletics arena in the grounds of the existing facilities at Santry. The wide-span structure, achieved by means of a 70m clear span cable-stayed cellular-rafter frame, is to incorporate a 200m oval banked athletics track, a 60m sprint track and a full in-field competition area together with associated changing , medical and catering facilities. Spectator seating for 1000 is to be provided. The project is fully designed but awaits funding pending the recent governmental strategic review.